EXAMS-Ways to relieve stress

06:03:00

Exam season can be a particularly stressful time of year, especially for someone like me who gets stressed over the smallest of things, for example.....
The worst thing about stress is that it's a downwards spiral; from becoming stressed about work, to then not doing work as you're stressed, to then getting more stressed as you haven't done work etc. etc. When you get into this downwards spiral it can be hard to escape it. So here's my top tips on how to relieve stress in exam time ( although I do these things all year round whenever I'm feeling anxious.)

1. Get active- Sometimes when you're revising you're stuck in the same room for hours on end, only leaving when you go for bathroom and food break. Getting active is a great way to relieve stress as whilst you're exercising your mind is concentrating on other things so its a chance to give your head a break from worrying about deadlines and memorising information. Running is the form of exercise I turn to, although when I say running it's actually more of a wog (walk/jog), whilst exercising your body also releases endorphins which make you feel happier and less stressed. I know sometimes when you're stressed all you want to do is curl up in a ball and not move but by doing something else to take your mind off whatever is making you stressed you're more likely to beat the stress and therefore be more productive and happy.

2. Colouring books and music- Unless you've been living under a rock for the last year or so you will have definitely noticed the continual rise of adult colouring in books available, colouring is cool again and that's something I'm very happy with. I would describe myself as a creative person and I did take GCSE art but I've never been good at drawing so for me colouring books are great because I get to add all the bright colours and release my creativity without actually having to draw anything. I find after a long day of doing work sitting down with a nice warm cup of tea, with an audiobook/ music playing in the background whilst colouring a great way to clear my mind and unwind. I find doing this before bed he best time because then I'm not going to bed worried and therefore sleep better which is always a good thing.

3. Write a to-do list and cross things off- it may be argued that this is more of an organisational tip than a stress tip but I find that if I'm organised I'm less stressed as I know what I've got to do and when I've got to do it by, especially when you have lots of deadlines all happening around the same time. However it can be a bit daunting looking at your to-do list so what I do is put a few things on such as, do your washing and buy food for the weekend as these are easy to do things and help start you cross thing off. I find it really motivating seeing all the things I've achieved over the week, and if you're feeling a little down its a good way to be like I've done well this week.
4. Speak to someone- Speaking to someone is probably the best thing you can do when you're feeling stressed, as when anxiety rears its ugly head it can become hard to rationalise so having someone else to talk through what's going on and helping to show you that you have no reason to be anxious can be really helpful. If you're a bit like me you may find it hard to just open up to someone and let them in as stress and anxiety can leave you feeling vulnerable but trust me it really does help, what's the saying a problem shared is a problem halved. Also, it's good having someone to motivate you to do the other things I've mentioned, for example, my boyfriend is always the one telling me to go for a run and if were together he goes on the run with me to make sure I do it and offer encouragement along the way.

5. Take some time for yourself- take a bath, shave , moisturise, paint your nails. Do whatever you want to do that makes you feel a bit more pampered and you will start to feel more relaxed. This is also a great time to just sit and read a book or magazine and give your eyes a break from the screens that we all probably as internet people spend too long on.
I hope you liked this post, it's a bit different but I wanted to post something that would not only be useful now but all year round whenever you need some tips on how to relax and feel less stressed.
If you did like it or find it useful please leave me a comment down below, also, let me know the ways you like to relieve stress as I'm always after new ideas.
Izzy xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments